Intelligent Transportation System Technician I
($46,758.40 - $62,940.80 Annually)
Under general supervision, an ITS Technician I performs skilled work in the installation, maintenance, operation, and repair of electrical and electronic traffic signal control devices, various communication devices, and the ITS components.
- An ITS Technician I performs skilled electrical installations of various ITS components.
- Work includes troubleshooting malfunctions and responding to trouble calls.
- Performs construction of traffic signals and inspects the work of contractors.
- This position performs scheduled periodic maintenance functions and maintains written and/or electronic logs of work performed.
- Uses a personal computer (PC) for recordkeeping and diagnostic troubleshooting of signal operations.
- Required to work irregular shifts, weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Work is subject to call-out during off-duty hours.
- Guidance is received by the ITS Technician II and is supervised by the ITS Operations Foreman.
- Employees in this class may progress by non-competitive promotion to ITS Technician II upon meeting the specific criteria-based promotion requirements of performance and coursework.
This class is FLSA nonexempt.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
- Graduation from high school or GED.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to 2 - 3 years' traffic signal cabinet maintenance experience, or graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate's Degree in Applied Science (Electronics Engineering Technology), and at least one year of traffic signal cabinet maintenance experience.
- Must possess a valid Arizona Class B Commercial driver's license (CDL) Instructional Permit by hire date.
- The skills demonstration portion of the CDL test must be completed within 120 days of hire date.
- An International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Level I Traffic Signal Technician Certification is required.
- Must possess an IMSA Level II Traffic Signal Technician Certification (Electronic or Electrical) and an IMSA Traffic Signal Inspector Certification within one year after date of employment.
- Must live within a 15 mile radius of the intersection of Main Street and Greenfield Road within one year after date of employment.
Substance Abuse Testing. This class is subject to DOT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) drug and alcohol testing as outlined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 382.
Experience in maintaining microprocessor-based instruments, National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and Advanced Traffic Control (ATC) controllers, basic knowledge of PC operations, and optical pre-empt devices, and communications equipment, is preferred.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications will be available on 07/28/2017. Apply by date, 8/15/2017.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For more information, please visit our web site at: http://apps.mesaaz.gov/jobdescriptions/Documents/JobDescriptions/cs4573.pdf